Pages

Saturday, September 18, 2010

What to do with all the apples!

But first, Target marked down their shoes and boots on Thursday.  Last spring I decided I needed some rain boots to wear out in the garden, but I didn't want to spend $25 a pair.  I happened to be at Target yesterday just after they had their markdowns and was thrilled to find these $25 boots for $6.24!  I guess it''s a good time to buy boots!




Since we picked apples last week, I decided I needed to do something with them.  So these,



turned into this

                                

I found the recipe in Country Living (have I told you I love that magazine? I do!) Here is the recipe...

Rustic Apple Galette
with Butterscotch Sauce

Makes 8 servings.  Working time 20 min.
Total time 1 hr. 5 min., plus 1hr. to chill

Galette:
2 1/2 cups plus 1 Tbsp. flour, and more for surface
6 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes; plus 1 Tbsp., melted
3 Tbsp. shortening, cut into pea size pieces
4 large Empire or Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
zest of 1 large orange, plus 2 Tbsp juice

Butterscotch sauce:
1 c. packed light brown sugar
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2/3 c. half-and-half
1/4 tsp. vanilla

1. In large bowl, combine 2 1/2 cups flour, 3 Tbsp. sugar, and salt.  Add cubed butter and shortening; cut into flour with a pastry blender. 


                                      



Mix in 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water.  Shape dough into a disk, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.


2. In a large bowl, toss apples with orange juice.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees. 

3. Roll out dough on a well-floured surface to a 14 inch circle.  Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet.
 


4. In a small bowl, mix together remaining 1 tablesppon flour and 2 tablespoons sugar; sprinkle over dough.

Layer apples on dough, leaving about a 2 inch border.  Fold edges over apples;  lightly brush apples with melted butter and dough with 1 tablespoon water.  Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon sugar over dough and apples.


5. Bake until crust is golden and apples are tender, about 40 minutes.  Lift parchment to transfer galette to a rack to cool.

6. To make butterscotch sauce:  In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, cook brown sugar and butter until mixture begins to bubble.  Stir in half-and-half and return to a boil.  Boil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, then remove from heat and stir in vanilla.  Serve alongside galette.

Have a great weekend!


3 comments:

  1. Hi Robyn, Came to visit after lurking thru Melissa's blog (love it). I'm gonna go to Target (Layton UT) see it I can find some cute rainboots! Your apple galette looks so good, I may have to bake one myself. I loved your post about the 5 things your did with the king size sheets!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think flat apple pies- galettes- are the best thing invented. Your photos with the text underneith look great (it's the natural lighting, right:). I'm going to have to try this recipe because mine always leak out the bottom and make a big mess with the juices.Did you know these freeze wonderfully? Just put them into the freezer on your pan with parchment until the pie is firm and then seal in a freezer bag with baking temp and time written on the bag. Just increase time by 10 minutes or until your pie is done...I haven't paid attention to the actual time yet:) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there just found you and I am in love with rain boots. What a fantastic deal!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...