Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Best Thai Green Curry with Chicken Recipe


image source

I love Thai food.  Thai Curry in particular.  I have a favorite local Thai Restaurant that I can't get enough of.  Recently my husband and I went there with our 12 year old, and found out that he likes Thai Curry just as much as me.  When we were both practically licking the bowl clean, I realized that I needed to figure out how to make it at home.  I had tried one recipe, and it just wasn't like the dish at the restaurant.  So, I started the hunt for just the right concoction.

Eventually, I found myself on Martha Stewart's website.  She had a similar curry recipe that I almost tried, but when I went to the store, I had a hard time finding kaffir lime leaves.  (surprisingly they did have lemon grass though!) A friend tipped me off to an Asian Market, but whenever I called, a girl answered and said her mom was not home and to call back.  It must have been a family business, and I decided I didn't want to drive all the way over there to find out that they didn't have what I needed.  

In the meantime I was looking in the Asian section of my local grocery store and found this.  A small bottle of Green Curry Paste by Thai Kitchen.


I read the ingredients and found that it already had most of what I needed in this little paste.  So instead of making the curry completely from scratch by buying my own chilies, lemon grass, and kaffir leaves etc., I decided to buy a jar and look up the online recipe on the back of the jar.

I made it last night, and I would have to say it was a success and tastes very much like the dish at my favorite restaurant. My son agrees, and loved it.  Here is Thai Kitchen's recipe...

Green Curry Chicken with Basil

Ingredients:
1 can (13.66 ounces) Coconut Milk
1/3 cup vegetable or chicken stock
1⁄4 cup chopped basil leaves*
2 to 3 tablespoons Fish Sauce
1 to 4 tablespoons Thai Kitchen® Green Curry Paste
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1⁄2 cups assorted cut-up vegetables, such as green or red bell pepper, zucchini, bamboo shoots, string beans
3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
Cooked Jasmine Rice
Cooking Instructions:
MIX coconut milk, stock, basil, fish sauce, green curry paste and brown sugar in medium saucepan. Bring to boil on medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer 15 minutes.
STIR in vegetables and chicken; simmer 10 minutes longer or until chicken is cooked through.
SERVE over cooked Jasmine Rice

* I didn't have fresh chopped basil leaves, and it was still good.  Also, I used string beans from my garden and it was delicious!  I used 2 1/2 Tbsp of the Fish Sauce, and next time I would use all 4 Tbsp of the paste!  We ended up adding a little more at the end.  Although Ty liked it just the way it was, I wanted more spice, so I added a sprinkle of cayenne pepper to mine.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...