Pages

Thursday, January 23, 2014

DIY wood pediment


Last summer I happened upon a yard sale that had a huge box of stained wood for free.  The owner told me that they had just remodeled their kitchen, and he was getting rid of the remnants.  I wasn't sure what I would do with them, but thought maybe I would make some signs or something.

Then, while cleaning out my craft room, I found an unfinished wood decal that I had had for years and could never seem to get rid of it.  I kept thinking I would do something with it, but I didn't know what or when.  That got me thinking..."I could make an architectural piece....a decorative pediment."

So I pulled out one of the pieces of pre stained wood from the yard sale.  Then, being lazy and not wanting a big mess, I started coloring the unfinished piece with a furniture marker.



Then, I coated the back of the unfinished piece with wood glue, and mounted it to the piece of wood.  I thought I would paint it light blue and distress it or something, but I ended up liking it just the way it was.

After it dried, I knew the perfect place for it!  Over the mirror that I just moved from the family room to the foyer.  That mirror really "opens up" my tiny foyer.  And, I love the extra light it reflects.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...