Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2011

How to make a classic, inexpensive, architectural detail for your own home…

IMG_5884

And...for less than $15!  I made this monogrammed hanging pendant a couple of years ago, and after weathering many northeastern rain, snow, and ice storms, it still looks great!  I wanted something to hang that would add character to my house along with the iron details that I put above the windows.  I used two 8" unfinished wood circle plaques like Elise did here from Michaels arts and crafts.  If you were to look on the other side of the plaque, you would see the same thing...the same border and monogram.  I wanted it visible from both sides.  You may choose to monogram one side only.  This would look beautiful hanging inside as well!

Note that the Michaels promotion for a coupon is running with this post, to save you even more money!

Monogrammed Pendant

Materials:
You will need two unfinished wood circle plaques from Michaels. (only place I can find them)
One iron plant hanger (mine was $2.50 from Walmart in the garden center)
a couple of eye hooks
wood glue
about 20" of chain (cut into two pieces)
white paint
black craft paint
polyeurethane, or clear water based protective sealer.

First, I gave the plaques a couple of coats of white semi gloss paint that I already had on hand. If you want you can paint just the "faces" on the plaques since the flat back sides will be glued together.  Just be sure to paint the sides well.  Let dry.

Then I penciled a border in a half inch from the beveled edge on the face side of each plaque.  The font that I used for the monogram is called Edwardian Script ITC. (it should be a standard font~it came with my computer).   I enlarged it, and then free handed it onto both plaques.  If you are not comfortable with free handing it, you can enlarge it in photoshop, or take it to a copy center, and then make a stencil.

I took black acrylic craft paint and painted the border, the edges, and the monogram.

After it dried, I lined up both plaques, back to back, making sure that both monograms were facing upright.  then I put a coat of wood glue on each flat back, and adhered them to each other.  Put a decent amount of glue, but not too much that it will seep out when you put pressure on it.  I put them on paper and then put books or something heavy on top while they dry.

After the glue has dried (I would let it dry over night), spray or paint on a clear coat of protective sealer.

When dry, drill two holes in top making sure that they line up with the "dips" in the plant hanger and put in the eye hooks.  Mount your plant hanger, hang the chains from the eye hooks and wrap around the plant hanger.  Depending on the plant hanger that you use, the inside chain will probably need to be cut smaller.  Use wire cutters to adjust and connect links.

There you have it!  I think it looks like something that would be from Ballard Designs catalog, but made for a fraction of the price.  And I like the satisfaction that comes from making something myself!

I am running a Michaels ad with this post, for a 40% off coupon!  So go get those plaques soon, and the project will cost you even less!

I'm linking to these parties. 
As well as Simply Cadence & Today's Creative blog

43 comments:

  1. oh my gosh this is the cutest thing!!! I love it!!!! So very creative!
    ~Tana

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so classy looking, I Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and so simple. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, Robyn. It looks like a million bucks! Is your light by chance from Lowes? We're looking to replace our outdoor ones and saw similar ones at Lowes and was wondering how you like them...
    xo
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melissa,
    I do believe I bought the lights from Lowe's. (I'm almost positive it was not home depot) We have been very happy with them~especially for the price. I believe they came in a two pack, so if I remember correctly, we got a better deal. I'd say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an adorable project! Very clever. Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so clever! This is a terrific idea - and you can't beat the price.

    I featured your blog at stylesson.com today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! It is so cute and adds such character to the house! I would love if you linked this up to Make it for Less Mondays at www.simplycadence.blogspot.com!
    Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for this great tutorial. Very simple, but so very clever and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is ADORABLE! I love anything monogrammed, and this might just do the trick outside the door!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this, Robyn! It makes me look at my monogrammed flag on a stake in the front garden bed with disdain now! : ) It is definitely very Ballard-esque. Glad you mentioned how it has weathered well, because I get full sun on top of all you mentioned here on Long Island and that would be my concern. Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it and will have to make one soon. Lovely blog you have here and just became a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous idea, this will look perfect at my son's home on the front porch. Thank you so much for sharing today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the simple instructions to make this. I totally love it and it looks great next to your light fixture.

    I am a new follower. Found you on Naps on the Porch.

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it, want one! I am a new follower also!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this! Thanks for sharing, I definately want to try it! I am a new follower- great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is amazing. what great taste you have. wish I could be so originally creative. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Came over from Coastal Charm link party. Super cute idea!
    Michael
    bluevelvetchair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it! Thanks so much for sharing at Anything Related!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome project!!! I really love how creative this is!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So simple and yet so elegant. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this idea, it looks so _expensive_! I Stumbled it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great idea, I love it! Think I will have to try it for my home!

    Also, I have a great giveaway going on for some chalkboard labels and would love if you entered! http://eyespydiy.blogspot.com/2011/05/chalkboard-label-giveaway-from-ginger.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is wonderful, and I have just the place for it after I paint the walls in my house. Nicely done!

    Emily
    Deviantly Domesticated Team
    http://stephaniehillberry.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow...I love this!!!! I am going to have to make one of these...thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  26. Absolutely adorable. Can you remember the font you used?

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is so beautiful!

    Visiting for the first time from the Shabby Chic Cottage!

    ReplyDelete
  28. gnee, I used Edwardian script ITC. (capital letter of course) It is a standard font, so you should have it in Microsoft word.

    ReplyDelete
  29. HI i love it toooooo.. I was wondering where you got your iron above the doors... I love them and have small spaces above my outside windows, i think they would work perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is so creative! I think I am going to try this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. love this, new follower! laura@imnotatrophywife.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. It gorgeous! I want one to hang in my home. I have added this to my linky laundry list post this week. You can see it here. http://literallyinspired.blogspot.com/2011/05/linky-laundry-list-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Becky,
    I posted the font, but blogger must have deleted it when they were down a couple of days ago. It is just Edwardian Script ITC. It came preinstalled on my computer, so I am guessing you have it too. Thanks for asking~ I will edit the post so everyone is aware!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I just love this! I'm in the process of trying to make my front porch prettier (anything is an improvement!) and this looks like something I'd like to add! Thanks for such a great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is incredible! I have got to find a place to put something like this! I am a new follower from Hoo's Got Talent. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love this! I featured it on hoo's got talent! Thanks for linking up to the party!

    ReplyDelete
  37. We love this and love your blog! We are doing a post on monogramming and want to feature your letter sign photo (of course with a link back to your site!) Thank you for the inspiration!!
    xx Liz and Lo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...