Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Fast, easy, super yummy, dill pickle recipe

IMG_2083
I (ahem)... I made pickles...
Thanks to my wonderful friend Amy.  I have always been jealous of those who can can!  I have always wanted to, but been too scared to do it...too afraid that the lids of the jars wouldn't seal properly (and that I wouldn't notice).  Consequently, I would then make my family sick and they would die.

This is actually a cheater recipe for canning pickles.  It will make any novice canner more confident!  You don't need to do a "water bath". (I think it is called!)  These were so fun to make and taste soooo yummy...Amy just taught the young women at church last week how to make them.  I learned right along with them, and got to make my own jar.  The next day I made a few more jars with my kids!  I was so proud that I was teaching my posterity how to can...sort of...

So now, I will unveil Amy's recipe (in her own words, except where italicized with my thoughts)...


Super Simple Crispy Garlic Dill Pickles

Wash (Pickling) cucumbers and scrub the little sharp nubbies off with a vegetable or dish brush (If you buy them at a store, the nubbies are already gone, so don’t bother looking for them) I usually divide my cucumbers into 3 sizes groups and leave the smallest whole, the next size cut into chips and the largest cut into spears.  If you have any the size of the Goodyear Blimp, throw them out, they are awful.

Prepare the vinegar liquid as follows:   Robyn at least tripled this ratio for 4-5 quart size jars
1 cup white distilled vinegar
3 cups water
(You may need more liquid, depending on the amount of cucumbers you have, but just make sure the ratio is 3 to 1)
Ok, so who can’t do that so far??? Simple, right?
Place this mixture in a large pot, (I use a 6 quart Dutch oven) and bring to a rolling boil. 
Add sufficient Turmeric slowly till you get the color you desire.  I like it kind of pale, so I don’t add much but it’s up to you)

Take enough cucumbers to fill 1 jar and place them in the boiling vinegar mixture until they change from a bright green to a sort of dull green.  It doesn’t take very long, just a minute or two. Remove them with tongs and pack them into a prepared jar. (I keep a shallow bowl next to the stove and if I have too many to fit in the jar, I just set it in that till the next one.) Pack them in as tightly as you can without smashing them. Immediately fill a jar with the boiling vinegar mixture to within ½ inch of the top.  Dip a clean cloth in the boiling water to quickly wipe off the top of the jar where the lid will sit so that it is still nice and sterile.  Seal and turn upside down and let set overnight or at least 12 hours. NO Peeking!!  Then turn jars over, remove rings and make sure they are sealed.  If you have one that didn’t seal, stick in refrigerator and eat within a few weeks.

Prepared jars:
Sterilize jars,Sterilize quart size jars, lids, and rings in boiling water for a minute, remove with tongs, and sit upright on a kitchen towel until you are ready to put all the yummy garlic etc. in them.
and prepare as many as you estimate you’ll need for the amount of cucumbers you have.  It’s best to sterilize extra, you can always add ingredients to more as you need them.

To each jar add:
1 TBSP Non Iodized salt (I used pickling salt)
½ tsp Mustard Seed
1/8 tsp alum (this keeps them crisp!)
1 clove garlic (Split) optional. OK, the recipe says optional, but as far as I’m concerned, you can add a whole lot more than 1 clove!!     You gotta put in at least 3 cloves to make it really yummy!
A few sprigs of fresh Dill (I have been known to use a ½ tsp dill seed when I didn’t have fresh dill)
A smattering of peppercorns, depending on your taste    We didn't do peppercorn




IMG_2081

Amy said she learned this recipe from an old farmer couple when she first got married.  She has been making these for several years, and her family is still alive!  They are so delicious, and I am so proud of myself!

2 comments:

  1. I just picked up my CSA share and am planning to make pickles too. Sounds yummy!
    Emily
    domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How proud of you I am, good going

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...