Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

AS SEEN ON TV!


"AS SEEN ON TV"...  "BAKE GIANT DONUTS!!!"  

Actually, I have never seen it on tv, but then again, I don't ever really watch tv.  I was at JoAnn's Fabrics last week picking up foam and fabric for seat cushions in our breakfast nook.  I walked past a display of different gadgets "AS SEEN ON TV!", and this giant donut cake was one of them.  I guess I'm going from one extreme to another.  I'm not really sure what is happening to me, but this donut cake kit was marked down from $15 to $7 and we have a birthday in the family next month.  So I decided to buy it.  I thought it would be fun to make a few of these in different varieties.  (They have a maple donut recipe, a frosted strawberry one, and others.)  All you need is a regular cake mix and a small container of icing.  Oh yes, and sprinkles of course!

After I brought it home, my daughter found it and we decided to invite her friend over and try the kit out.  It worked great except I think I got the icing a little too thin.  It ran down the sides too far.  I think it still looks like a donut though!  What do you think?  The boys and their friends thought it was cool, but they were a little disappointed that it didn't "taste" like a donut!




They have big oreo cake mixes and giant cupcake ones too.  You have probably seen them.  I like this one and the cupcake one.  Not sure I would ever pay full price though!

3 comments:

  1. Although it wouldn't be "perfect," I'm thinking you could use a simple round bundt pan to get a similar effect. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jelli Bean, I think you're on to something!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...