Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

From Drab to Fab...A Door Makeover...

IMG_2393


 Of course I forgot the main "before" picture, but trust me, the door to the garage from the kitchen was anything but Fabulous.  It was a plain cream color from floor to ceiling. In one word... Drab.  It happens to be a sort of focal point in my little kitchen, so I felt I needed to dress it up.

Hello stripes!  I decided that stripes would make a bold statement, so I pulled out my black craft paint, a pencil, ruler, and paint brush. I painted big, fat, black, stripes.  If you look closely (click on the photo to enlarge) I came up with a technique to add some texture.  Before the paint dried, I wiped some of the paint away in spots with a paper towel.

Then I painted the entire door and frame white.  When it dried,  I decided to hang one of my paintings (my canvas painting of cherries~email me if you want one~they come as small as 3 1/2" x 5" and on up in size. Just about any size you would like them, and very reasonably priced... robynandscott@juno.com)  As  a final touch, I added a black iron architectural detail found in my grandfather's garage!  I can't remember what it is, but I liked it...until it fell on my husband's head!!!

IMG_0659

So, I had to come up with something else to cover up the holes in the door.

IMG_2389

By the way, I was shopping one day and noticed the awning on this Italian restaurant.  Remind you of anything?  :)
IMG_6979

I was loving this bathroom from Pottery Barn, and decided that I needed a number 4 to hang over my cherries.
pottery banr

I found this old frame in my shop that I picked up from the thrift store long ago.  It had a painting in it that I didn't like, so I painted over it, thinking I would just painted the number 4 on...Too time consuming.  I am a very busy mom these days, so I decided to print one on the computer instead.  I used size 12 font in Times new roman for the "no." and Mongolian Bati size 300 for the "4". (just standard fonts)

IMG_2391

I printed it off on parchment paper that I picked up at a yard sale long ago, cut it to fit inside the frame, and just mounted it with spray glue.

IMG_2392

It does wonders to dress up this previously boring little spot in the kitchen!

IMG_2395

Have a great day!  Love, Robyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...