Pages

Friday, March 8, 2013

30 minute rit dye upcycle

IMG_5634

So, ...I asked my tween, "Why don't you ever wear your khaki pants?  And she said, "Mom, nobody
wears pants like that to school"...


Okay, ....well I thought that khaki's never went out of style, which is why I bought them at the start
of the school year.  Apparently, they are not the trend right now.  I should have known, because
everywhere I look, I see fun, bright colored jeans.  Yellow, blue, green, orange...

I was about to throw them in the good will box, when I remembered that I had a box of rit dye that I
had never used.  And, it was just the right color for the pants that are "in" right now for spring.

Teal.

I pulled out a big plastic storage bin and smacked some rubber gloves on my hands.  I filled the plastic
tub with hot water and salt according to the package directions.  *Make sure that if you use powdered dye,
you let the granules completely dissolve before adding the clothing or it will leave dye spots*  Then I
submerged the pants...agitating them them every few minutes with my gloved hands.  After about 30 minutes,
or until the color was what I wanted it to be, I rinsed the dye off the pants in the bath tub, and then washed
them in the washing machine with a little detergent.  (again, according to the package directions).

She loves them, and I love that I saved a perfectly good pair of pants!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...