Pages

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Homemade Polymer Clay


So, I'm sitting here in an 84 degree house at 8:15 pm, trying to stay cool while I write.  We had a plumbing leak in the bathroom off the kitchen which caused water damage in the basement. Needless to say, bad water seeped into the air ducts too, so we can't turn the air on yet.  We have had contractors in and out for the past few days, and with any luck, we will be able to turn the air conditioning back on on Thursday when new ducts are installed. All the fans are downstairs drying things up, while we swelter upstairs! Unfortunately, its not going to cool off much tonight either. :) Sure makes you appreciate the comforts in life.

Happy Times.

Anyway, I have fond memories of making clay miniatures with my best friend Erin in third grade. I remember sitting at her dining room table making little hamburgers, fries, and hot dogs.  :)  When I saw a pin on how to make homemade polymer clay with white glue, cornstarch, mineral oil, and lemon juice, I had to try it out.  

In case you would like to make your own, you can find the recipe here

* I would strongly recommend using a nonstick pan though-and not your best one.  I didn't want to put glue in my nice nonstick pan since I use it for cooking, so I used a regular pan that I hadn't spent much on from a thrift store in case it got ruined...which it did.  I just threw it away because I didn't know how to clean the baked on clay and it cost me less than a couple of dollars anyway.  


We spent one evening looking up images of polymer clay creations on google.  We oohed and awed at some amazing little pieces of art that gave us some great inspiration.  Once we shaped and molded our creations, we let them dry for about 4 days and then painted them with acrylic paint. Grace came up with most of the ideas, and painted them all herself.  Cute, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...