Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Hoodwinked!

 IMG_0581



I did it!  While trying to fool my husband and my kids, I even fooled myself!  This is a Blueberry Spinach Smoothie!  Occasionally I try to sneak in vegetables in my kid’s meals by disguising them.  (usually unsuccessfully~they are so dog gone smart!)  And it doesn’t help that my husband usually catches on as well and doesn’t help the situation. (He is learning though, that if this is what needs to be done to get them to eat vegetables then he better not say a word!)

So, to make a Blueberry Spinach Smoothie, the first thing you have to do is make sure that your husband and children are not in the kitchen while you are making it.

Secondly, have the following ingredients on hand…

frozen blueberries, (and maybe a few frozen strawberries)
a package of fresh baby spinach
plain yogurt
orange juice

I pull out my blender, pour in about a half cup of orange juice, and then dump in HALF A PACKAGE OF BABY SPINACH!  I blend it really, really well.  Then I put in half a large container of plain yogurt, and fill the rest with frozen blueberries and a little more OJ.  (I usually add some frozen strawberries as well)  Blend really well.

For me, I pour individual servings into Ziploc baggies and freeze them. (I label the bags as mine with a sharpie on the Ziploc)  Each night I take one out of the freezer to thaw in the fridge over night for my breakfast in the morning.~or for a quick, healthy snack for the day.

IMG_0583

For my husband and kids, I blend in a few spoonfuls sugar (to taste), and they gobble it down right away!
There you go, some of the most healthy foods ever... mixed up in a very tasty smoothie!  Blueberries and spinach have such great health benefits!  I usually make another batch right after the first to use up the rest of the yogurt and spinach.  (the package says that once the spinach is opened, it should really be eaten within a couple of days.  Besides, then I only have to clean the blender once.)  You could even freeze and label individual portions for the kids' breakfasts also.

IMG_0582

Happy Monday!

10 comments:

  1. Can you taste the spinach at all? I like spinach, but I'm not sure I'd like it with blueberries. I'm tempted to try it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! I started adding pinto beans to my lasagna (blended in blender) to add additional fiber. yes, the secret is to do it when NOBODY is near the kitchen. I've been a follower...
    laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one's a favorite at our house, too. Bryce didn't know there was spinach in it until I told him...of course then he was grossed out, but the kids still ask for spinach smoothies everyday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, I can't taste a bit of spinach! If you're worried, you can start with less spinach and then add more at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmm. That looks really refreshing! I always feel better about the day when it starts out with something fruity and good for you. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I eat fruit smoothies, but have never thought of putting in spinach. I'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny! Hope your kids don't read you blog. ;) These look great Robyn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi. I am a newer follower to your blog and let me say I love it. Especially being a newly wed looking for "new" ideas all the time.
    Anyways I am a SMOOTHIE fanatic.
    Is this actually good? can you taste the spinach? my hubby doesnt like "tasting green)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jennifer, it IS GOOD! ~really good! I cannot taste even a hint of spinach! Start with just a handful if you are worried. And, even though your husband won't taste the green, don't tell him what you did!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...