Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

on starting seeds…

IMG_4876

Last year I started my garden indoors.  I started lettuce, broccoli, and cauliflower (I think).  Anyway,

IMG_4878

they didn't transplant to the garden very well.  The Lettuce became entwined, and it was hard to untwist without breaking them.  I did snip some of the little leaves a bit to eat as they were growing.  I heard that the new baby leaves are very nutritious.   I was able to transplant them and they grew well, but the broccoli plants didn't produce as much broccoli as I had hoped.  It's possible that it was just a bad year for some of the plants in my garden.  My zucchini and cucumbers didn't do well, and neither did my cauliflower.  Actually, the cauliflower did well, it just got eaten by bugs.  As usual, I got tons of tomatos though. ( I always plant way too many tomatos).

IMG_4877

So, I don't think I will bother with starting my seeds inside this time.  It seemed to be more trouble than it was worth, and I'm not sure that it gave me much of a head start.  Do any of you have any advice?  It seems there is always so much to learn with gardening!

5 comments:

  1. I wish I had some advice. I have terrible luck when starting plants indoors too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a lot of luck starting my own seeds, but this year I'm going to follow the instructions from Organic Gardening. They have tips at http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/14-tips-starting-your-own-seeds?cm_mmc=OGNews-_-03092011-_-learnandgrow-_-14_for_tips_starting_your_own_seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had luck starting seeds indoors. I was really going to do it this year, and be successful at it, too.... until I read this post and remembered all the trouble I've had in the past. To the garden shop I will go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had the best of luck either! One thing I have found it to make sure to harden them off for a couple of weeks before planting them. They seem to have a better chance that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No! Keep trying! Last year I started tomatoes, tons grew, I only planted 6 and they didn't do terribly well. BUT I learned alot about what not to do, have read some really great books over the winter, and I'm going for the gusto this year. Just planted 4 tomato varieties, bell peppers, and hot peppers and in a month, I'll do some more starts. I think the key is not letting them "reach" for sun and transplanting to bigger pots when the first true leaves appear (which would probably fix your entanglement problem). Keep trying!! You've got wonderful sun in your house. When does anything turn out right the first time anyway?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...