Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

Tartine Au Cacao Recipe for 1 & living like the French

IMG_1290



I realize it is only one person's perspective, but I learned a lot about American eating habits verses those of the French from the book French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Guilano


Here are some motivational tips from the book that I learned about how to choose a healthier lifestyle...

1. Unlike Americans, the French don't spend hours at the gym.  Instead, they walk a lot. They search for the best produce.  The best cheeses.  The best chocolate.  If they are going to eat chocolate, they purchase the best chocolate that they can find and savor it.

3.  Americans tend to eat more than they should because of mindless eating, while the French believe that food should be thought about while you eat it.  They eat slowly while contemplating the textures, the tastes, and enjoying each and every bite.  They believe that less food is more, and that the most pleasure in food is to be had in the first few bites.

4. The French focus on the quality of food instead of quantity, and every meal is special to them.  They don't multitask while they eat!  They savor every bite and remove distractions.  They never leave the table feeling "stuffed".  Mireille writes, "Keeping your mind interested in what you're eating is fundamental to eating less and losing weight."

5. The French eat what they want, when they want it, but they eat smaller portions.  They are the "master of their pleasures" as well as the "masters of their restraint".

6.  The French eat food in season, to avoid food that tastes like "cardboard".  "In the end, seasonality is the key to the French woman's psychological pleasure in food-the natural pleasure of anticipation and change."  There is poignant joy for the French in tasting the best produce of the season.

I enjoyed the following recipe from the  book for Tartine Au Cacao.  However, I ended up mixing the sour cream with the cocoa powder, and had to add a sprinkle of sweetener!  I almost bought low fat sour cream, but changed my mind when I realized that the French would never have done that!




Tartine Au Cacao 
serves1

1 ounce sour cream
1 thick slice of sourdough bread
1 Tbsp cocoa powder

Spread a thick layer of sour cream on the bread and dust with the cocoa powder.
Serve with 1/2 c. homemade hot chocolate

Happy Eating!  I'm off to make some breakfast.  Don't forget to slow down and enjoy what you eat!


2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm....I might give this a try but it's a little scary. LOL I have to force myself to remember not to eat standing at the kitchen counter, something that happens often with lunch. I know I eat less when I sit down at the table with a plate.

    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...