Pages

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Snow White and Rose Red


While we were in Utah on vacation this summer, I noticed these beautiful roses in my brother and sister-in-law's backyard.  Don't they have a beautiful view of the mountains?  Anyway, there were white roses growing next to red roses on the fence, and it immediately reminded me of one of my favorite fairy tales when I was little...Snow White and Rose Red.  Did you ever read that one?


My mom had these beautifully illustrated books...A Treasury of the World's Greatest Fairy Tales, and a Second Treasury of the World's Greatest Fairy Tales.  I LOVED the pictures. They are so detailed.  They have been out of print for quite some time, and there don't seem to be many copies around anymore.  If you do find one, they are quite expensive...anywhere from $50.00 to $100.00.  Mom still had our original books, so when we went home to visit, I tried to remember to read them to my kids,  but we always had other things going on and it was easy to forget.  For years, I have wanted to have them as part of our family's permanent collection.   

So, I was excited to find the first treasury on etsy this summer for $30.00.  I snatched it up.  I was debating spending $80.00 (crazy, I know) on the second one, until mom generously offered me her family copy.  She sent the other to my sister.



I'm happy that I can read them to Grace so that she can learn a little bit about what I used to read and love.  I have them sitting on my coffee table.  The illustrations are just as gorgeous as I always remembered them, but I have realized that some of the fairy tales are quite strange...like Aladdin being rewarded for his idleness with great riches!  What are some of your favorite things from childhood?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...