Pages

Monday, February 24, 2014

Meet Matilda~ My cow painting


This is her big debut!  Matilda the cow.  When I went up one weekend this winter to study painting with my friend in Boston, I told her I really wanted to paint a cow, and I wanted her to teach me how to paint more quickly. After the original sketch, I began painting in my typical meticulous way.  After what seemed like only a few seconds, she said, "Move on! Paint a different part!"  She had me flying all over the canvas, and all I could think was, "This is going to be a disaster.  It won't even look like a cow!"...

And yet, when I finished and stepped back a little to looked at the canvas, this is what I saw!


Our family went out to eat after leaving our friends' house, and I carried her with me to the restaurant, just to sit and stare at her in the booth.  I was surprised at the transformation.  I studied it all evening, still in awe about what had transpired!  The more I looked at her, the more I loved her.

Friends and family have been wanting copies, so I have begun reproducing Matilda as a print mounted on canvas.  I hand paint brush strokes over the print to mimic the look of an original oil painting.  Matilda is acrylic, but I love the look of oil, so I am happy that the reproduction looks like an oil painting.  I hope to list her today in my etsy shop.  I have already sold two, and have another on reserve.  :)









The hardest part is deciding where to put her!

8 comments:

  1. She's adorable and I like here on the blue stand, of course she can go anywhere in your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That is probably where she will stay for a while. :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will you still be selling Matilda next month? (March)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...