Pages

Monday, September 30, 2013

My upcycled owl t shirt from a dishtowel!

Yep, that's me.  I know, it's been awhile since you've actually seen me.  Usually I hide behind the camera, so you don't get to see me very often.  But, I couldn't wait to show you my owl shirt and it didn't fit on my mannequin, so, here I am!

While we were in Charlottesville, VA, this summer, Grace and I went shopping while the boys went to the BYU game.  We spent quite a bit of time in Anthropologie. I soaked in just about every square inch of that store getting "inspired", while Grace sat on the leather couch reading on her kindle and playing with a little poodle that was pattering around the store.  Among other things, I noticed an owl t shirt that I thought was really cute, and took a mental note of it.

Then, last week as I was going through some vintage calendar dishtowels that we picked up at a rummage sale for $1.00 (the same one that I picked up my old rotary phone at), I found this owl calendar towel.  I was about to get rid of it, when I remembered the Anthropologie owl t shirt, and decided to try to make one of my own with one of my black t shirts.



I cut it out...


Then I turned my t shirt inside out, but with the front facing up.  I put the owl image face down, centered it where I wanted it, and pinned it in place.  Then, I sewed around the inside edge of the oval about 1/4".


Next, I turned it right side out, and carefully pinched the top t shirt layer away from the owl fabric.  I poked a little hole with the scissors, and then kept cutting the t shirt within about 1/4" of the seam to reveal my owl! (being careful not to cut the owl fabric)



I can't tell you how fun this little project was!  And, it only took about 15 minutes from start to finish. It was like finding a surprise inside when I cut away the t shirt to find my owl!

 



1 comment:

  1. I love owls and orange is my favorite color! You look great as always!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...