Pages

Friday, December 12, 2014

2014 Holiday Decorating~Home Tour

Happy Holidays!  I had so much fun decorating this year.  I upcycled some old Christmas decorations, and found new places to display others.  That always seems to freshen things up.  Last year I bought a vintage red toy truck at an antique mall after Christmas.  I had plans to put a little "fresh cut" Christmas tree in the back of it, but had to wait until this year to pick one up at the Dollar Tree.  I didn't like the mound of snow at the bottom of the tree, so I cut it off, and hot glued rolled up brown paper for a more realistic looking trunk.

I propped up a little chalkboard behind it and printed the lyrics to the carol "O Christmas Tree" to continue with the tree theme.  It makes me so happy whenever I see cars driving around town carrying their beloved Christmas trees on top.  






Since I now have a china cabinet in one corner of my piano room (see here and here) I needed to put my tree in the opposite corner this year.  It looks like this will be its home for the next several years, since I can't find any other place for it.  I am actually very pleased it worked out this way, because now I can see it from three different rooms.  Sometimes I just sit on the couch mesmerized with its beauty.


I couldn't find a good place this year for my giant redwood tree pine cones.  (The top of my armoir where they used to be, is already occupied).  Then I remembered that I don't have to keep all my decorations indoors.  So, I put them in a galvanized wash tub, and placed it on the little table on the back patio.


Remember my boxwood preserving disaster this summer?  I was disappointed it didn't work.  But, when I saw this bunch of greenery at Wegmans (grocery store) the week of Thanksgiving, I thought I would try to make a wreath with them.  It was only $5.00 for the bunch, and they were practically completely dry already!  I'm not sure if it is boxwood or not, but it looked close enough for my liking.

 

I cut black foam board into the shape of a doughnut, and just hot glued little bunches of it around the circle.  It is completely dry now, but I think it still looks ok.  And, if I am careful with it, I may still be able to get a few years out of it.  




I never get tired of this little wreath.  It moves around to a new place every year.


I decided to try a white, cream, and green colored theme on the top of my piano and in the entryway.  I love the combination of these soft, simple colors.






I still can't believe I picked up this red and white cross stitched runner at a yard sale one summer...








After Christmas last year, I bought a kitchen hand towel.  It was a fun Reindeer Food replica of a feed sack.  I thought it was too pretty to use, so I wrapped it around a piece of foam board, taped it down with duct tape, and stuck it in a yard sale frame.




I put fresh cranberries around a white pillar candle, and tied on a 
vintage white snowflake with baker's twine.


For a couple of years now, I have planned to put glitter on these ice skates that I had picked up at a rummage sale.  Have you seen how people have put glitter on them?  In the end, I decided I don't want to do anything too trendy, and decided to keep them as is which is probably more timeless.



I still have a couple more things to make on my list.  One is a Joy to the World burlap banner to hang in my kitchen window.  The other is to make some ornaments or something out of old black and white family photographs.  I hope you are enjoying the season!

4 comments:

  1. Your house is beautiful, Robyn! It is fun to see it all decorated for Christmas. I really love your tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish you could bring your house with you to MT for Christmas so we could all enjoy the beautiful décor. So so homey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! Your house is truly beautiful!!
    Love to see your tree!!
    Merry Christmas!!
    Buy gmail pva accounts

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...